Out of the Abundance of the Heart the MOUTH speaks – Wow! Words are mighty.
Think about that one for a moment. What you dwell upon becomes your reality and therefor what you communicate in your words.
I decided to re-read Tony Robbins' book “Awaken the Giant Within”, when I got to the 9th chapter on the vocabulary of success, Ive read it 3 times and got something new each time. This information is not new, but bears repeating.
You may have heard about NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programing) and this is but a sliver compared to it. Wikipedia defines NLP as
Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) is an approach to psychotherapy and organizational change based on “a model of interpersonal communication chiefly concerned with the relationship between successful patterns of behavior and the subjective experiences (esp. patterns of thought) underlying them” and “a system of alternative therapy based on this which seeks to educate people in self-awareness and effective communication, and to change their patterns of mental and emotional behavior”
In the English language there are 500-750,000 known words. How many do we use? 1000-5000!
When I wonder why something is like it is, I never used to think about the words that I used to describe the situation, I just felt the emotion of what I knew from the words that my brain fell back on about it.
For instance, you bible scholars know this : The Greek language has 3 words to mean the “LOVE” where as in the English there are 14 different definitions of the SINGLE WORD!
In Greek in the Bible, there are three words for love: Eros, Phileo, Storge and Agape
See the chart here:
|Greek Individual Words for LOVE
||English ONE word LOVE
- Agape (ἀγάπη agape) means “love: esp. charity; the love of God for man and of man for God.”
- Eros (ἔρως érōs) means “love, mostly of the sexual passion.”
- Philia (φιλία philía) means “affectionate regard, friendship,” usually “between equals.”[Furthermore, in the same text philos denotes a general type of love, used for love between family, between friends, a desire or enjoyment of an activity, as well as between lovers.
- Storge (στοργή storgē) means “love, affection” and “especially of parents and children”
|1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. sexual passion or desire.
4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
6. a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
7. sexual intercourse; copulation.
8. (initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
9. affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
10. strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
11. the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
12. the benevolent affection of god for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
13. Chiefly Tennis . a score of zero; nothing.
14. a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
GAW! That is a lot!
I am not intending this to be a Bible Study, just stating a curious point.
Take a notebook and write down all the emotional words you use in a day, for a week.
Next to each, write how you felt about that and note the words you continually use. Are they an accurate description of the feeling? Like “I hate it when they cut me off in traffic” when you just don’t like it. HATE is a very powerful word and the more you use it the more power it has on you. Think of these kinds of words.
To help alternate and better describe a feeling or situation,
I am going to pull a few out every week and put them to work for me. How about you? Let me hear what you are thinking and let us compare notes in the comments below.
Isa 55:11 “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it.”
Close the gap, broaden the horizon with words, create the attraction and become a RockStar
[mlsp-cta campaign=”copywritingmastery” popup=”false” layout=”standard” align=”left”]